Saturday, May 10, 2008

KS Makhan

One of my favorite artists in Bhangra has been K.S. Makhan. I kind of miss how powerful his voice sounded pre-"First Play" production days. This does not mean I hate Aman Hayer, infact I love his work, but I just miss the 'old' KS Makhan voice. What I want to do is, first show you how his voice sounded when he first came into the industry, to what people are hearing now.

1. This first track, i'm about to share with you, was featured on a bhangra compilation released in the 90s, "Immortal Bhangra" I think. It is one of my favorite tracks from him, everything about this track is sick. Along with Makhan's voice, I also miss production like this :(
"Mundari Da Naag Sat Rang Da"

2. This second track is actually called Hoopeh (part 1) NOT 'Askhe'. Produced by Sukhshinder Shinda. It was featured on Shinda's album "Dhol Beat Dhol", which was released during the late 90s.


3. And listen to the Original "Mitran Di Motor Teh". For the longest time i thought this was sung by Surinder Shinda.
"Mitran Di Motor Te"

Ever since he hooked up with Aman Hayer, bhangra fans have noticed an 'auto-tuned' (t-painesque) effect on his voice. Which, I think takes a lot away from what Makhan has to offer as an artist, but it is a formula that has worked well for him in recent years. It has made him more popular and judging from his videos, profitable as well. And when you get teenage girls requesting your songs at parties you know you have made it.

Don't get me wrong, I do not hate KS Makhan, nor do I hate Aman Hayer, I think Aman is right up there with some of the best bhangra producers of today. And KS Makhan is a legend in the making. Aman has produced some of the biggest hits in Bhangra, such as, Mitran Di Chatrri, Tardhi Hildi, Dil Nai Lagda, etc....just to name a few.

But ever since Aman hooked up with Makhan to do his entire album, First Play, I do find that, Makhan's albums have had a similar feel to them. From lyrical flow, rythm pattern, and production there is not much difference from album to album. I cannot not tell you what Makhan track from which album. And every once in a while, when I ask my friends, "Have you heard the new makhan track?" They reply with something along these lines of "I've heard it before, it sounds something like [insert another Makhan track here]" or they simply snap their fingers trying to remember the song's name.

However, this does not take away from the fact, that he's had 1 or 2 tracks which have become dance-floor anthems with every release since First Play. Kachiyan Kandan, Hoopeh Part 2, Billo, Dildar are just some of these hits etc..

I'm not really hating on Hayer-Makhan team, they work well together like Jazzy and Shinda. My only concern is that his albums lack 'creativity' from album to album. Although, as I mentioned before, I do enjoy his songs immensely, but I do find the songs repeatative nature in every album, discourage me, as a consumer to 'invest' in this product. Its like they are not even trying, whereas Jazzy and Shinda always deliver something 'new' and fresh with each release.

Makhan and Aman are back again with their latest offering "Yaar Mastane". The 1st single from this album "Sir Kadhve" sounds really promising and the video is pretty good. You can start snapping your fingers, try to remember which track it sounds like once you hit play. But it doesn't take away from how bad-ass the song and the video is... enjoy...

No comments: